Friday, July 1, 2011

Don't Allow Your Demo to Date Your Song

So you've written a great song and you believe this song has hit potential. You want to pitch it to some music publishers. What's the best approach when it comes to recording the all-important demo? Exactly what do music publishers want to hear?

We songwriters often hear things like "Listen to what's successful now and emulate that." Or "Keep your finger on the pulse of what's current." While it's probably not in our best interest to write stuff that sounds like it should have been released in the '80s, the greatest songs are often ones that don't follow the trends, especially when it comes to the sound recording.

Of course we all can and should improve our songwriting skills. But instead of trying to change our songwriting style, perhaps we should consider changing our approach to recording the demo.

Can Your Demo Stand Up To a Major Release?

The thing that most often makes a song sound dated is the recording. It's very difficult for an amateur to emulate the sonic qualities of a major studio release in the first place. Trying to keep up with the changing trends in recording production is a career unto itself. These productions are given a substantial budget. They can afford the most expensive gear and, more importantly, the best ears in the industry.

While I love to record full-blown demos, I've realised I may be shooting myself in the foot. Besides the above points, recording a full-blown demo tells the listener what kind of song it is and leaves very little to the imagination. If I'm trying to get a publishing deal, I've just eliminated well over half of my prospects!

Publishers all say they don't pay much attention to the recording production of a demo, and maybe some of them don't. But I believe most of them do. I want my song to be heard for what it is: A good song. I don't want people's judgment to be clouded by my well-intentioned, yet pigeonholing demo.

Strip It Down

So I've decided to start recording simpler, stripped-down demos. Maybe just acoustic guitar or piano and vocal. That way I leave the possibilities of what the song could become up to the listener. It could be a country song, a pop song, or a heavy rock song. Whatever!

Also, with a simple demo it quickly becomes apparent if there are any weak lines of lyric or melody. No wall of drums and guitars to hide behind!

A good song is a good song. If it's good enough, it should be able to stand on its own. As songwriters it should be our intent to write the best song we can write. Since it can be difficult to know exactly what an industry professional is looking for, why not let the artist or producer who intends to record that song decide how it should sound?

I'm Richie Gilbert and I have been passionate about writing songs for many years. I also spend much time in my home recording studio, and am active in pitching my songs to music publishers.

To learn more about the craft and business of songwriting, please visit my website at http://www.inspired-songwriting-tips.com/


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment